History of the Frundsberg Festival

History of the Frundsberg Festival

Already in 1836,

the first children’s festival in commemoration of Georg von Frundsberg is known to have taken place in Mindelheim. Yet, it’s the celebrations on occasion of the unveiling of a memorial plaque at the castle in 1855 that are generally considered the origin of the Frundsberg Festival as it is still celebrated today. However, what started as a children’s festival by initiative of a few teachers has changed significantly during the last 150 years. Held only on irregular terms (1869, 1872, 1873, 1875, 1884 and 1895), the Festival in its starting days remained strongly connected to trade exhibitions and agricultural events.

History of the Frundsberg Festival
History of the Frundsberg Festival

The change at the beginning of the 20th century

This changed with the inauguration of the Frundsberg monument at the corner of the town hall in 1903 and the relocation of most of the festival events from the castle directly into the heart of the medieval city of Mindelheim. After the celebrations of 1912 and 1913 and the long forced interruption due to the First World War and its aftermath, the festival continued again in 1923, 1925, 1928, 1933 and 1939 in more or less elaborate ways. Then again the Second World War and the following period of reconstruction put an end to all festive considerations for about eleven years.

The post war era finally found the motivation of the inhabitants of Mindelheim quite changed. Even though the children stayed in the center of attention during the festivities in 1950, 1953, 1956, 1967, 1970 and 1973, the idea of “living history” including all ages, levels and aspects of society gained in credibility and popularity. Thus, once again in its long history of continuity and change, in 1976 the Festival altered its face to become an event integrating youth and adults, inhabitants and visitors alike. Thus, every three years Mindelheim returns to mediaeval times in order to commemorate Georg von Frundsberg by pageants, festive concerts, theatres, historical diversions as well as merriment with music and dancing, a historical peasants’ market, medieval craftsmen at work, performances of plays written by Hans Sachs and medieval camp live. Since 1977, the festival is organised by the non-profit society Frundsberg Festring Mindelheim e.V.

History of the Frundsberg Festival

Office of the Festring

Frundsberg Festring Mindelheim e.V.
"Alte Fronfeste" – Imhofgasse 3
87719 Mindelheim


08261 / 5584
08261 / 738441

Office's open hours

Tuesdays: 9 am to 12 pm
Thursdays: 2 pm to 5 pm
Support: Doris Kawan


Loading this resource will connect to external servers which potentially use cookies and other tracking technologies. Further information can be found in our privacy policy.

Allow external media